Monday, November 1, 2010

Gerald Ha-Motsi Levine

Over lunch this afternoon our teacher tells us that there was a baby-naming in her shul this week. “They named the kid, get this, Rachel Leah Beracha v'hatzlachah.”

It means Rachel Leah God Bless and Good Luck.


“She has siblings!” our teacher continues. “Ben David Shabbat Shalom. I am not making this up.”

Ben David Peaceful Sabbath. (imperfect translation, sorry. Shabbat shalom is also used as a greeting.)

Now, those of you who read my Shmone Levenstein post know that when it comes to Creative Naming, you just do not want to get me started. You are giving me no choice - NO CHOICE, I tell you - but to name my imaginary children Morty Exodus of Egypt Roth and David Promised Land Greenberg.


And then - I told you this would happen, People of Israel, but would you listen? - you are all but compelling me to start speaking in a football announcer voice, “Lucky Number Eight Levenstein takes the field, hikes it to Daaaave Prrrrrrromised Land Greenberg…oh, look at this kid run…”

2 comments:

  1. As someone who just went through the trials and tribulations of naming another human being, I think you're on to something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha to your post and Liss's comment!

    ReplyDelete