Tuesday, June 16, 2015

I must say that in the right light, you look like Shackleton

Mom has taken to Norway like a puffin to ice water, effortlessly dropping phrases like "We live near the palace" and "We had reindeer for breakfast." 
We did have reindeer for breakfast, because I committed the perplexing social faux pas of requesting a take out container last night (and was rewarded with reindeer meat, in sauce, wrapped in tin foil. With dish of lingonberries, dish included, also inside.)(I feel kind of bad about stealing their dish but I guess technically I asked and they gave it to me.)

Reindeer was an appropriate breakfast for our next destination, the Arctic Exploration museum. In 1891 Dr. Fridtjof Nansen commissioned the Fram, a ship specially designed to withstand ice pressure. He intentionally froze the ship and allowed it to drift northward toward the pole, achieving a record-breaking 85•57'N.


Nansen was one hard dude, by the way. Look at that face. He strikes me as the sort of person who would start doing push-ups if he got stuck in line at the post office. He was probably described as "active" and "strong-willed" by his third grade teacher. 






Nansen was the first of a legion of explorers. Today, Norway is the only country in the world with territories in both the Arctic and the Antarctic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment