Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The minnow would be lost

A highlight for us both was the Kon-Tiki museum, where coincidentally we arrived just in time for the once-daily showing of the 1951 Oscar winner for best documentary film. Oh, you don't remember? Narrated by Thor Heyerdahl? The guy who sailed a raft from Peru to Polynesia in 1946? More people should be name-checking this guy when they need a handy synonym for "genius." Like when you want to say, "Well, so-and-so is no Einstein..." what you should really be saying ALL THE TIME is "So-and-so is no Thor Heyerdahl."
I was gratified to observe that the guy and his four buddies took exactly what I would take on a trip like that: a camera, a guitar, and a journal (and flayed an octopus for ink.)



They also had more stuff on the deck of their raft than I have in my apartment.


No comments:

Post a Comment