Monday, June 14, 2010

weights

25 minutes of cardio, then a maximal strength series: warmup, then 10 sets of 2 squats/10 sets of 2 deadlifts. I can squat 155lbs - more than my body weight! Yay.

Part of me wants to record my body weight here, because in six months I'll look back and wonder what it was. But another part of me wants to honor what you and I have talked about, and keep the weight issue out of our training. That part wins.

A nice man named A.J. helped me with my form on the deadlifts, so I continued training them at a lower weight and definitely felt it working.

What does weightlifting have to do with circus? Nothing, I suppose...except strong hamstrings will give you a killer 1-knee hang :-) But weightlifting is something I'm GOOD at, and getting back into it has given me that confidence and easy, natural athleticism that I lost at circus school. And I like the equipment itself; the industrial clank of the weights, the little bump of testosterone I get from slinging them around.

But my gym membership expires today, as I am moving to NYC. So we're about to start the "do it yourself" leg of this adventure: training with no equipment. I think that's where this blog will come in handy - admittedly, it's a really boring blog (I'm wary of putting ANYTHING "interesting" about myself on the internet), but it'll hold me accountable on all those days when I want to skip out on training.

No comments:

Post a Comment